Proudly serving the Palm Springs, California community, our methadone clinic provides adults struggling with addiction the ability to recover from heroin, oxycodone, Percocet, and other opiates.
What is Purpose of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse?
The multiple challenges that an individual is faced with when addicted to opioids require complex solutions in order to achieve positive, lasting results.
Individuals who find themselves trapped in the dangerous cycle of opioid abuse must address the emotional, psychological, physical, and behavioral hurdles that are associated with this disease. In order for treatment to produce lasting results, each of these factors must be properly addressed and managed. By utilizing group therapy within a comprehensive plan of treatment, patients are provided with the support and guidance necessary in order to progress in their treatment.
Group therapy is a therapeutic process that utilizes the use of one counselor within a group of multiple participants. Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center employs a team of counselors who are specifically trained in the field of addiction, and understand the complexities associated with opioid addiction. Like individual therapy, the role of group therapy is to understand and overcome the behavioral and emotional factors that may have contributed to an individual’s addictive behaviors in the first place. Once an individual understands why he or she turned to opioid use, our team of counselors is able to help his or her prepare for a future that is substance-free.
Because external factors such as stress, mood disorders, abuse, and trauma can all lead an individual to turn to opioid use, group sessions allow patients a safe and supportive environment in which to openly discuss these issues amongst individuals who understand firsthand the struggles associated with addiction.
How effective sessions are is directly linked to the counselor who is leading the session as well as the patients who are sharing their insights, experiences, and emotions with the group. The following are the main goals of group therapy at Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center:
- Universality – Removing feelings of isolation by emphasizing the shared feelings and experiences amongst group members
- Self-understanding – Gaining insight into one’s own issues by listening to other group members share their experiences and points of view
- Interpersonal learning – Learning from the view points and experiences of others, while also sharing one’s own insights and outlook
- Altruism – Experiencing the value of contributing to the betterment of others’ lives
- Hope – Accepting that other members of the group have overcome hurdles that one may be currently struggling with
- Information – Obtaining more information about the disease of addiction as well as the process of recovery
- Imitative behavior – Developing new techniques and strategies by observing the positive behaviors of the counselor and other members of the group
- Cohesiveness – Experiencing a sense of fitting in and being supported by sharing in the therapeutic process with others
- Catharsis – Feeling a sense of relief from any emotional pain felt by publicly sharing one’s challenges amongst other individuals who understand
Objectives of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse
The dedicated team of professionals at Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center values the importance of incorporating the use of group therapy into a patient’s plan of treatment. By giving patients the opportunity to come together with their peers and openly discussing their struggles and achievements associated with addiction, patients are able to productively move forward in their treatment.
Patients must receive treatment and support for both the emotional and physical components of their addictions in order for treatment to be effective. While the medication prescribed within treatment provides patients with relief from the physical discomforts of withdrawal, group therapy allows patients to gain support and encouragement from their peers in a safe atmosphere to help prepare them for a future that is opioid-free.
To learn more about group therapy as well as the other treatment options that we offer, please contact Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center today.