Proudly serving the Palm Springs, California community, our methadone clinic provides adults struggling with addiction the ability to recover from heroin, oxycodone, Percocet, and other opiates.
Benefits of Individual Therapy for Opioid Abuse
Individuals who are battling addictions to opioids must overcome more than the physical dependence upon a substance or substances in order to progress towards long-term recovery. Since the causes for addiction often lay rooted within an individual’s psyche, treatment must address the underlying factors in order for progression to be made. While the medications prescribed at Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center work to eliminate the physical discomforts of withdrawal, therapeutic interventions such as individual therapy help patients to address the underlying emotional and behavioral factors that may have contributed to an individual’s addictive behaviors in the first place.
Individual therapy is a therapeutic method that involves a counselor and a patient in a one-on-one environment so that an individual can openly discuss an array of topics. In addition, patients will experience the following benefits from the use of individual therapy during their time at Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center:
- Identifying past events and trauma that may have contributed to the abuse of opioids in the first place
- Creating new viewpoints in relation to the underlying causes of addiction and substance abuse
- Developing new ways to handle stress in a healthy manner that does not include the use of opioids or other substances
- Processing setbacks and/or achievements in an appropriate manner throughout the course of treatment
- Forming new ways to handle future situations in which opioid use may be available and tempting
- Creating new personal goals
Once an individual is able to understand his or her own behaviors and emotions, he or she can then prepare for a future that does not include the use of opioids. Individual therapy provides patients with a safe and supportive environment in which to safely express themselves in order to help progress in treatment.
Additionally, individuals who incorporate the use of individual therapy into their plan of treatment also experience the following:
- An increased sense of self-confidence
- Improved self-esteem
- Lower levels of stress
- An increased sense of self-awareness
Building a Foundation for Opioid Abuse Recovery
Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center firmly believes that the use of individual therapy plays a critical role in the progress of a patient’s treatment. When patients are given the opportunity to freely discuss their addictive behaviors in a safe and supportive environment, they are able to progress towards a recovered future. Individual sessions also allow patients the chance to work through any issues or ask questions that may arise during the course of treatment.
To learn more about individual therapy as well as the comprehensive treatment that we offer, please contact Desert Comprehensive Treatment Center today.